Pages

Thursday 6 August 2015

university!

I have officially started university, and am in my first week of it. The campus is absolutely huge and full of people, yet I still feel a little lonely. As of yet, I haven't made any friends, but I'm not publishing this post until the end of the week so hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll have found some company by then.

I did bump into a friend from primary school who I've caught up with since moving here, which was really nice. A relief to talk to someone I knew!

My first lecture wasn't terribly exciting. It took a while to get into the swing of things, and I actually really enjoy taking notes (weird, I know), but that didn't happen until after the first hour. We got a 15 minute break in the middle and so, because I was just about falling asleep, I went to get a coffee. This however, ended up in me coming back late because the line was so long, and having to do the walk of shame in front of everyone back to my seat. Ah well, my coffee was nice. And that's what matters, right?! Luckily, I wasn't the latest person back.

I'm off to my first tutorial in half an hour and I'm hoping it's a bit more social than the lecture. No doubt it is, seeing as a lecture consists of a professor talking at you for two hours, haha. I'm excited to get more in the swing of things, as I really like routine. There's something so calming about it, am I right?

The best thing about my units are the exams. I know that sounds wrong, BUT the exams are both multiple choice! I haven't done a multiple choice exam in so so long, and I hate essays so this is a dream come true (sort of). For both units you're even allowed to bring your textbook in, and one of them is completely open book. Of course, I'll still be studying and working hard, but there won't be that pressure of having to properly memorise quotes and references and dates. Like the lecturer explained, he wants the unit to be about understanding concepts rather than simply memorising them. Sounds great to me.

My Thursday evening lecture actually turned out really nice. I managed to talk to quite a few people, and the lecturer was great. He had a really good sense of humour and seemed to know his stuff, which is such a relief, because all my past education I really haven't had many good teachers. Cough, cough, year eight maths teacher.

All in all, I did enjoy my first week at university, despite its loneliness. Hopefully I'll be able to make a few friends and get more of a social life, haha. I bought a ticket to the start of semester party, thinking my friend had got one, but turns out she didn't and they were sold out before she could. Long story short, I didn't end up going for fear of looking like a loser. However, there are plenty more parties popping up every week (one on Wednesday, yay!), so I didn't miss out too much.

On the topic of university, I also started a studyblr, which is a Tumblr blog primary for study pictures and inspiration. You can check mine out here. Please do. :)

Have you guys started university yet? Tell me all about it!

xx Silje

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!