Pages

Sunday 27 September 2015

i quit sugar - week two



I've made it! Week 2 is done and dusted, and I'm feeling proud.

However - that's about the best feeling I've had.

One symptom I've been really noticing is the fact that I'm lacking focus. At first I thought I was unmotivated, but for me that usually only lasts a couple of days before I can really knuckle down. However since about Friday last week I just haven't been able to concentrate properly - and when you have university assignments to do, that becomes a bit of a problem. My brain is hazy and my procrastination levels are at an all time high (in fact, I'm at the uni library now trying to work on one assignment and yet here I am blogging away). Usually when studying I have a bowl of lollies or M&Ms to munch on and keep me going, but I can no longer do that. Up until today (Monday) I haven't realised my lack of focus has been due to sugar withdrawals but it only makes sense. Luckily, this is the worst symptom. I've been told to expect nausea, headaches, fatigue, etc. and I haven't had any of those, but inability to concentrate is definitely going on!! I snacked on some cheese and crackers for hunger, and I have a small portion of greek salad and a boiled egg as a second lunch - I'm eating quite frequently nowadays, albeit in small servings - so hopefully that'll calm the cravings down and get me to whiz through this assignment.

Still craving sugar, which feels silly as I've only gone five days cutting all fructose, but it goes to show how addicted I was! I swear everything I see now is cake and chocolate and ice cream, and even "healthy" things like honey and fruit. In fact - this afternoon when I had peanut butter on toast it felt like a sweet!

There haven't been any real benefits this far. I'm eating healthier and becoming more aware of what I'm putting inside my body which is good, but as for weight loss, less lethargy, better skin, etc. I'm not seeing results yet. I do realise I am being impatient though! ;)


My meals for this week!

Monday ~
Breakfast: two slices toast with vegemite and avocado
Lunch: alfredo chicken breast with steamed veggies
Dinner: beef and cheese pie, salad, and roast veggies

Tuesday ~
Breakfast: two slices buttered toast, two soft boiled eggs
Lunch: chicken and cheese bagel with sun dried tomato and pesto (naughty)
Dinner: pasta with roast veggie sauce

Wednesday ~
Breakfast: diced tomato, poached egg, toast, feta - pictured above
Lunch: pasta with roast veggie sauce
Dinner: pasta bake and salad

Thursday ~
Breakfast: two slices toast with vegemite and avocado
Lunch: leftovers and garlic bread
Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, steamed veggies, roast potatoes

Friday ~
Breakfast: two slices toast with vegemite and avocado
Lunch: 1/2 chicken breast, big serve of salad
Dinner: spaghetti bolognaise, garlic bread

Saturday ~
Breakfast: diced tomato, poached egg, toast, feta
Lunch: 2-egg cheesy omelette, big serve salad
Dinner: leftovers, big serve salad

Sunday ~
Breakfast: four asparagus spears, two soft boiled eggs, cream cheese on toast - pictured above
Lunch: peanut butter on toast
Dinner: homemade beef burgers


If you're wondering what I use to track my meals, I write it all down in this bad boy. I found this meal and recipe planner in Kikki.K on sale for $12 and couldn't help but pick it up. The Swedish design is very familiar to my Norwegian roots - I love it! I'm not sure if it's still being stocked but if it is - go get it!

As for snacks, I had to stay away from fruits this week so instead I had:
  • boiled eggs
  • carrot sticks
  • iced latte
  • cheese
  • crackers
  • homemade potato chips
Baking some coco-nutty granola for breakfast next week

The goal for this week was to up my fat intake (easy-peasy), and cut out all fructose completely (not so easy). I only slipped up once - sorta - and that was when I went out for a coffee with my gran and she ordered me a bagel with pesto and sun dried tomato, both of which have quite high sugar contents. However, I didn't want to seem ungrateful so I ate it anyway. I mean, what was I supposed to do? ;)

Besides that, I think I've done well with my quitting sugar journey.

Wish me luck for next week, strict no sugar policy!! I'm also going to try and stay away from overly processed foods, which may be a challenge, but I'm up for it. Hopefully my lack of focus will start to disappear soon as my uni assignment is due next week and I haven't finished yet... Oops!

xx Silje



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!