Pages

Wednesday 31 December 2014

DIY: body scrub


When I was deciding on what to get my friends for Christmas this year I realised I didn't have much money to spend on them. If I were to get each of them a $20 gift then that'd eventually add up to over $200, and I just didn't have that amount of money if I wanted to get my boyfriend and family members gifts too. Scrolling down through Pinterest, I saw lots of cute little DIY ideas people were gifting loved ones, so I thought, why don't I try?

One of the ideas that stood out to me were body scrubs, as they are so flexible in the way that you usually have the ingredients in your kitchen. Turns out, I had plenty of ingredients, so I got to pulling out what I needed.


For body scrubs, you usually need an oil, a scent, and either sugar or salt. After that, you can add in other ingredients to make it even better!

I used:

  • olive oil
  • almond oil
  • raw sugar
  • white sugar
  • blueberry infused green tea
  • vanilla essence
  • rose oil
The ratio I used was 2:1 sugar to oil, and then adding a little bit extra oil until I got the desired consistency. The rest I threw in as much as I thought was necessary, about a teaspoon of rose oil, 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla essence, and two teabags of blueberry infused green tea.



To make the scrub is easy-peasy, as all you have to do is combine the dry ingredients and then mix in the wet. After you've done that, rinse out some jars to store the scrub in. You can use old jam jars or mason jars, or pick some up from a discount store for a cheap price. I found my jars from The Reject Shop at $1.50 each. After rinsing out the jars, simply scoop the scrub in.



Now here comes the fun part - for me at least. I don't know about you but I love designing packaging and labels and such, so this was a treat for me. You can skip this step and simply gift them as is, but I decided to go a bit further and personalise them. Using a piece of scrap paper, start designing your packaging. You can write whatever you like on them, but some ideas are the recipients name, the ingredients, the occasion, or a cute little drawing. I went for "Body Scrub" and a list of the scents.

It took me a few goes to fit in all the text

Use a circular object to help you get a perfect circle

I used a special pair of scissors that gave the appearance of clouds which I thought was a cute touch.

Once you've finished your labels, stick them onto the jar using double sided tape, and voila, you're done!



I made another sticker for the top to personalise it more.


This is such a fun, easy project that can be made quickly and cheaply. You can find body scrubs in shops retailing for $15 at least, but you can make it at home for less than a third of the cost, and it makes such a thoughtful gift.

I hope you enjoyed this post, let me know if you'd like to see more DIY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!